Like your mommas always say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Many of us are so on the go that we cheat ourselves out of the nutrition we recieve from eating breakfast. But I have found a solution: fresh blueberry muffins from scratch. I made these a few weeks ago and this recipe is just too good not to share.
What you need:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, chilled
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with milk. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 of tablespoons flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over unbaked muffins.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
The recipe makes approximately 12 muffins and each muffin is about 250 calories. Not bad. Hope you enjoy these, have a wonderful Monday and keep your head held high.