….now I know this won’t happen by Christmas but a girl can dream. As I dramatically explained yesterday how the holiday stress is getting to me and there seems not to be enough time in the day, I am forcing myself to not let my health and physical activity be jeopardized for my procrastination. That’s way easier said than done.
I know this time of year is the hardest time to stay focused on exercising and eating right but I figure as long as I do something to get my heart rate up each day, even if it is just for 5 minutes, that’s better than nothing at all, right? So while we are in the kitchen waiting for all the cookies and dessert to bake, why not drop down and do some sits up or pushups right there in the kitchen? That’s at least 15 minutes of free time. Or do one exercise in between each present you wrap. I am determined to make time during the hustle and bustle.
Lately I have been taking a PiYo class with a friend every week and I am absolutely in love with it. I would highly recommend trying this class out at your local gym. It focuses on balance, flexibility, and strength. Some of abs workouts described below are taken from this class.
Army Crawls and Mountain Climbers
Tip: Try to always keep your butt down and back straight
- Begin in the plank position. Booty down!
- Bring your right knee to your right elbow. Then back to the plank position.
- Bring your left knee to you left elbow. Continue alternating same knee to same elbow keeping your back straight. Do 4 reps.
- Still in the plank position, bring your right knee in between your arms as close to your chest as possible.
- Then alternate bringing your left knee in between your arms and to your chest. Do 4 reps.
- Next, remaining in the plank position cross your right knee to your left elbow. Return to the plank
- Then alternate crossing your left knee to your right elbow. Do 4 reps.
- Do this entire sequence all together. Rest and repeat all three exercise continuously 3 more times.
- Make it harder: when doing the last movement of crossing your knee to the opposite elbow, do a triceps push up as you bring your knee to your elbow.
Side Plank Twist
Tip: Squeeze your butt throughout the entire workout
- Begin in the side plank position by laying on your right side, elbow on the floor in line with your shoulder. Stack your feet on top of each other facing out. Hips should be in line.
- Squeeze butt and hips lifting your hips off the ground, forming a diagonal line from your shoulder to your feet. Lift left arm up above your shoulder
- Bring your left arm underneath your body while rotating your body towards the floor.
- Rotate back out lifting arm over your shoulder to the starting position. Repeat 5 to 10 times keeping abs and butt tight.
- Try 3 sets.
- Lay on your back, hands behind your ears and elbows out in a starting sit-up position.
- Bring your knees up so they are directly above your hips
- As you crunch up bringing your shoulder blades off the ground, bring your knees towards your head.
- Relax down to the starting position, still keeping your up and above your hips.
- Repeat the crunch 10 to 15 times. Rest and try 3 more sets of 10 or 15 crunches.
- Make it harder: Hold medicine ball under your knees, squeezing it in place as you bring your knees to you for each crunch.
I hope you find these ab workouts as useful as I do. We are already half way through the week, so let’s keep calm, focused, and our heads held high.