It’s Wednesday and you know what that means. We are half way through the week and here is another workout…well sort of.
Lately I have been reading a lot about a very old school activity that almost all girls did in their early elementary years that is a great way to burn off calories. I thought what the heck, might as well try it so I went out and bought myself a jump rope.
No. Not a pink flowered one and I’m not jumping around singing nursery rhymes. I got just a standard fitness jump rope, some even have weighted handles which are pretty gnarly, and found out that the simple childhood pastime was a little challenging but worth it.
Cue Rocky theme song.
Jumping rope for 20 minutes can burn up to 200 calories, so I have been trying to incorporate this into my workouts when I want to avoid the gym. So far I am getting the hang of it but I am still trying to come up with a fancy routine to jump away the calories. I would still consider myself a beginner at jumping rope but here are some tips and a little routine for those who, like me, are new to this as a form of exercise.
Jump Roping Tips:
- Make sure you stretch before you jump. Trust me on this one. Not only your legs but your arms as well
- When jumping rope keep your knees slightly bent and land softly
- Turn the rope using your wrists. Avoid using your shoulders or back to whip the rope
- Keep your arms close to your body and at the height of your waist
- Listen to upbeat music so you can maintain a rhythm and a fast pace
Jump Rope Routine:
00:00 – 02:00 Single Hop Jumps
02:00 – 04:00 Run in Place Jumps
04:00 – 06:00 Alternating jumps
- Like Rocky, jump rope by putting one foot forward and then the other
06:00 – 08:00 One legged jumps
- Jump on one leg for 30 seconds. Then switch to the other leg, alternate legs during the two minutes.
08:00 – 10:00 Side to Side jumps
- Simply jump left to right
Then repeat work out one more time
If you are a beginner like me, you may stumble on the rope and can’t continue throughout the entire two minutes. Don’t get discouraged and just keep going.
Pretty soon we will be jump rope masters with buff legs. Remember to listen to your body, stretch, eat enough good foods, and keep your head held high.