It’s January, so that means everyone is feeling ambitious and heading to the gym to fulfill their New Years Resolutions. So once 5:00 pm rolls around you’ll be lucky to get into your favorite workout class or even few minutes on that broken workout machine. Then you’ll get frustrated, be tempted to throw in the towel and say “screw this I’m going home.” The next day rolls around and you dread going back to the smelly gym that you just opt to have a “rest day”. Before you know it a few days go by and your extra holiday love is back.
I am totally guilty of doing this, but don’t want to let the hustle and bustle of the crowded gym stop me from staying on track. The crowds will slowly disappear by March anyways. But in the mean time, why not squeeze in a little workout you can do in the comfort of your own home. No distracting ballerina man doing pirouettes between weight lifting machines. Yes, this really happens at the gym I go to.
10 Minute Living-Room Cardio Workout:
00:00 – 00:30 – Run in place
00:30 – 01:00 – High Knees
01:00 – 02:00 – Jumping Jacks
02:00 – 03:00 – Burpees
- Begin in a standing position
- Squat down to the floor, bending your knees and placing your hands on the floor
- Jump your feet back into a plank position
- Jump back into the squat position and stand up. That’s one burpee
03:00 – 03:30 – Frog Jumps
03:30 – 04:30 – Step Hops
- Stand facing stairs or a steady platform your can step up on, place your right foot on the step.
- Jump up, bringing your left knee to your chest and extending your arms above your head. Keep your back straight.
- Step down into the starting position, both feet off the step. Continue alternating the left and right leg.
04:30 – 05:30 – Army Crawls
05:30 – 06:30 – Rest!
06:30 – 07:00 – Jump Lunges
- Lunge the right foot back
- Jump, switching legs in the air so that you land with the right foot forward in a lunge.
- Alternate to right and left leg lunges. Keep your knees soft and land softly.
07:00 – 08:00 – High Knees
08:00 – 09:00 – Jumping Jacks
09:00 – 10:00 – Jog in place
Only ten minutes, and your heart rate will be up and you’ll be burning some calories. Keep in mind to always listen to your body.
Let’s be strong, happy and healthy this new year. Keep your head held high.